Monday, May 21, 2007

First post

I saw "Performance" soon after it came out in 1970. I was near the end of my summer in California, staying then in San Francisco, looking for a job and trying to have as much fun as possible before I turned 30. What a stunning movie. I probably saw it again right away. Then I got a job -- in Philadelphia. Soon I was there and telling my new friends about the amazing movie I'd seen in San Fran. And suddenly it was playing in Philadelphia, and we all got appropriately tuned up and saw it. Maybe again a few times, and then it wasn't playing at all.

We got the soundtrack album and played it until the grooves bled. A few years ago I got the soundtrack on CD, once left it on the voicemail of a friend who had seen it with me in Philadelphia. Otherwise, "Performance" the movie was pretty quiet in the 21st century.

Now it's back. That same friend who heard it on his voicemail, Michael Bein, found the DVD in Best Buy, and I happened to be in Madison last week to visit him and his family. We watched it, and once again were stunned at this most original movie.

And now I see that this blog title is available, and so here's the blog for "Performance" the movie.

Now, let's try to figure out what snippet of Jorge Luis Borges might have inspired it.

No comments: